EQUAL is a non-governmental organization created in Lebanon on Franciscan values, in which the dignity of every person is respected; resources are shared equitably; the environment is sustained and nations and peoples live in peace.
The vision of EQUAL is to protect the vulnerable, the forgotten, and our wounded earth.
The mission of EQUAL is to ensure basic needs of education, child protection, health, nutrition, livelihoods, and social cohesion to most vulnerable people and have their rights fulfilled in peace and justice; while protecting their surrounding environment.
The objectives of the organization are:
- Equality among people, regardless of their religion, race, sex, color or origin, and protection of the environment.
- World peace, respect, and implementation of all human rights for all people, regardless of their religion, race, sex, color or origin.
- Care and welfare of poor people regarding all financial, educational, mental, intellectual, health and legal aspects.
- Work to stimulate dialogue between religious groups; develop and activate their coexistence.
- Work on implementing human rights in all areas, publish all material related to human rights culture, in addition to prepare and publish all studies regarding the association’s objectives.
- Commit fully to the spirituality of Saint Francois of Assisi, and be subjected to the civil authorities, state and laws in effect.
- Plan and implement programs and projects that would lead to the full realization of the goals and objectives mentioned above, or at least part of them.
EQUAL runs the social, educational, and cultural activities of the Order of Friars Minors Conventuals in Lebanon (Franciscans Conventuals) in addition to the inter-religious ones.